Escape the February funk by heading to sunnier climes. This is a great month for seeing sharks off the coast of Tanzania, snorkelling with humpback whales in Silver Banks in the Caribbean and exploring the beautifully colourful corals of the Maldives. Need we go on?
Diving in February
Families will be all too aware of the glories of February Half Term, and we know all the best destinations and hotels for snorkelling and diving holidays with kids. For everyone else, February is a month for some much-needed winter sun - Christmas is but a distant memory and spring feels like light years away. Combine some serious sun-bathing above the waves with some excellent diving beneath, and we know all the best places to go...
For kaleidoscopic coral reefs, February is one of the best times to dive in Raja Ampat in Indonesia (think: the underwater Amazon); tick off all the bucket-list marine species in the Galapagos or for a more romantic escape (Valentine's Day springs to mind), the Robinson Crusoe beaches and luxurious private islands of the Maldives beckon. Wreck-heads can rejoice as February is also a great time to dive in the wreck diving capital of the world - Truk Lagoon in Micronesia.
Top 5 Places to Go Diving in February
February is a marvellous time to go away to banish any residual winter blues, with some of the best marine encounters to boot. So without further ado, discover the top five destinations to go diving in February:
- Micronesia - February is one of the best times to go diving in Chuuk Lagoon, which is home to the world's best wreck diving (think: a sprawling underwater museum of perfectly preserved WWII wrecks)
- Maldives - With turquoise lagoons, white sandy beaches and eternal sunshine, the Maldives is the classic winter sun diving destination, but, for epic underwater encounters visit the Southern Atolls, where stronger currents attract sharks by the boatload, including tiger sharks, grey reef sharks and so much more
- Indonesia - The heaven's hath aligned for Raja Ampat in February, with minimal rain showers and smooth seas - all the right ingredients for an epic liveaboard trip in Raja Ampat if you ask us
- Caribbean - February sees hundreds of humpback whales migrate to Silver Bank to mate and calve, all best accessed by luxury liveaboard from neighbouring Turks & Caicos
- Tanzania - Whale sharks continue to feed in the warm waters off Mafia Island, providing snorkellers with epic close encounters with these gentle giants
Liveaboard diving in the Maldives in February allows you to explore all the best sites across the archipelago – think sharks, sharks and more sharks, manta rays, turtles, moray eels (the list goes on…).
Jacqui, Original Diver